Wednesday 26 March 2014

Read It Or Not: The Perks of Being a Wallflower


This is a book I would love to have read when I was younger. Not because I don't think I am able to relate to the characters in the book but because I feel like my teenage self would have really, really enjoyed this. But at least I have read it now and I must say I do rather like it. 

*  *  *  *
'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' is story that falls under the 'Coming of Age' category. It is a novel that regales you with the tale of a boy called Charlie who is trying to find his place in the world as he is about to start his freshman year at high school. I really admire the way Stephen Chbosky wrote this book. He somehow captured the essence of the voice of a young person in the letters that were written by Charlie making it easier to imagine this world of his. It felt like the letters were addressed to us, the readers, and we were invited into the mind of Charlie to see things as he saw it. And it was only halfway through reading this book that I finally understood its title. When I watched the film I sort of had an idea of what the story was about but I have to say the book had quite a few hidden treasures within it that made me understand the characters a lot more as you would rightly assume it would.

*  *  *  *
If you haven't read this book before and are looking for something this is quite an easy read (I finished it in March guys. Whoop!!), has a great plot and is also an ode to other great works of literature then is the book you should get a hold of.

Read it or not...that is your choice.


Mo x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi!

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love being given the chance to interact with you and hear your thoughts :)

Yours truly,
Mo